Wednesday, June 25, 2008

pianoforte



(new piano, June 2008)

Our house has acquired a piano, and so what was established as the social area known as "around the beer fridge" has become a piano parlor.

I've been reluctant to get a piano of my own since I left Las Vegas, partly because I didn't have any place to put it and couldn't keep moving it back and forth across the country and Pacific Ocean. But realistically, it's because I suspected that I couldn't play as well as I did in high school, and I didn't want to actually face it. But since this one was free, and 3/5 of the house wanted it, we are now the proud owners of a baby grand.



I've been slowly working up to par on Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Sharp Minor. And just as suspected, I am not as good as high school. Shocker. But it's surprising how quickly it's been coming back. After my band director said that for every day you don't play, you backslide two, I expected that it would have taken approximately eleventy-billion years to get back to that level.

No comments: