Friday, February 13, 2009

W's PhD defense

So, I haven't been posting because W defended his PhD on Thursday. I've been a messy wreck of event and menu planning. W's been working really hard at his presentation, but also found time to buy a new suit.

Whit running through his presentation
Running through his presentation before the final run


Not everyone was as engaged as me, however.

A Committee Member


He passed, by the way.

It's very strange to think of him being near the end of this stage. We met when we were both in graduate school, and for the entire time that I've known him, he's been a student. Transitioning to the next stage, I think, will be very interesting for us.

I actually had a difficult time in 2004, which is the year I graduated with my MA, and W was accepted into his PhD program from his masters. I had always thought of continuing on to my PhD, but then decided that I needed a break from school. It was still hard, however, to see W move up in the academic world while I was stagnant. I sort of wanted to shake my fist and yell, "you stole my dream!" Except that he was super sweet and concerned about this, and also, because I'm not so self-absorbed I imagined that he wanted to do this just to spite me. We talked about it a bunch, my resentment lasted about 4 days, and then we moved on. It's both rewarding and unsettling to finally get to this point in the process, but I am truly proud of him.

Whit listening to questions
Listening to questions after the presentation

2 comments:

Whit said...

Thanks babe! I appreciate all of the work you did, and I don't think I would have made it through this without your support. For better or worse, there's alot more work to do before they sign off on the dissertation...

asha. said...

great blog, great post. happy to see W looking great in a suit!! hope you are well...

(i'm going to link your blog, on mine....if that's okay).