Friday, March 13, 2009

citrus trees

Despite my living in the same house for 3 years, I have just now noticed the abundance of citrus trees in our neighborhood. We have a lemon tree in our own yard, which we alternate between ignoring and picking the bejeesus out of (mostly to make lemon marmalade).

Meyer Lemon Marmalade


But in the neighborhood - wow - lots of choices! Oranges, grapefruits, pomelos, kumquats.

California's great because the law allows people to pick fruit on a tree that hangs over public property - like a sidewalk. Unfortunately, since most houses in Palo Alto are on rather large lots, many of the trees are deep in yards and nowhere close to the sidewalk. I have been staring longingly at a tree two blocks away with wasted oranges littering the ground. A tear comes to my eye just thinking about the potential for pound cakes.

W seems to think we can trade for our lemons, but I just don't feel like the barter is equal. I mean, honestly, lemons for oranges? Who would do such a thing?

Grapefruits on fence
Some neighbors, however, seem to invite people to grab their fruit; this house had grapefruits lined up on their fence for the taking.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Go to the house with the orange trees and ask them if you can pick them! I'll bet they won't mind at all if they're just letting them fall on the ground.

madichan said...

I was thinking of stealthily sneaking over there at dawn to grab-and-run, but your idea sounds a lot more legal. I'm just really shy at approaching strangers, so I don't know how people will react.