Monday, August 31, 2009

kirby cove

My friends and I spent the weekend at Kirby Cove. Since I was the one planning the trip, despite having been on 2 camping trips in my life, I was a bit anxious to make this a good experience for my group.

For those who aren't familiar, Kirby Cove is a small camping site (only 4 groups can be there at a time) that is extremely popular in the Bay Area. In order to get a site for August 29, I had to reserve it in February. Reasons that it is so popular is a) it's cheap ($15 for a site that fits up to 10 people); b) it's nearby (just north of San Francisco), and; c) because of this:

view from our campsite
view from our campsite


It is gloriously beautiful there. The camping grounds have their own beach access, which is about a two minute walk from the parking lot.

I think folks had a good time; at least no one starved. W had a bit too much to drink, so he stopped enjoying the experience around 9:30 pm on Saturday.

There were some negatives to the site, however:
  1. The toilet situation left much to be desired. I'm not sure if they just didn't get cleaned enough or what, but the one right by our site had about 100 flies just chilling on the wall. I used the one closest to the beach, and while it wasn't perfect, the fly situation was much diminished.

  2. When people gave a heads-up about the foghorns, they were not kidding. Those mofos are LOUD. I think I slept about 3 hours total. Next time: more effective ear plugs. However, when I went to the beach to take photos at sunrise, this is what I saw:

    Golden Gate Bridge
    (That's the Golden Gate bridge. What? You can't see it? It's because someone stole it during the night. Or you know, it's shrouded in fog).


  3. The raccoons are not something to be trifled with. These were some of the bravest, nervy things I have ever encountered. Someone include them in the next group of "Profiles in Courage." You basically had to run at them screaming to get them to saunter away (and yes, I did say saunter; these raccoons were in no hurry. They knew it was only a matter of time before you went to sleep and they could ravage your campsite). They were able to get into a cooler that was being wedged closed by the picnic bench. They were even almost able to get into another cooler that was closed via a ZIPPER THAT WRAPPED AROUND THREE OUT OF FOUR SIDES. Huh? They don't even have opposable thumbs!


However, don't let this deter you from experiencing this awesome site; it was super duper fun and beautiful, and hopefully I'll be able to go again next year (because all the available sites are booked for the rest of the season).

No comments: