Sunday, August 16, 2009

Russian River Beer Revival 2009

After missing last year's jaunt up the 101, I was determined to make it up to the Russian River Beer Revival this year. To be honest, I don't love beer; I didn't start drinking it on a regular basis until I got to Japan (where cheap nama beers and light lagers rule the land). Within my group of friends, there is one homebrewer and a housemate who is an artisan beer snob (defined here as "beer with a cork"). Between the two of them, I've been able to expand my repertoire of beer tasting.

I wanted to go to the beer revival this year because a) with one flat entrance fee, it's all-you-can-drink beers/ciders from over 30 breweries, and all-you-can-eat BBQ from almost 30 restaurants, and b) reputation has it that the vibe for this event is super friendly.

Most of the group going went up on Friday to camp overnight. I drove up with 3 other people on Saturday morning. We were able to park and get in line at around 11:40 am (gate opened at noon). Even though they weren't supposed to start the tastings until 1, most of the booths opened up the taps and grills about 12:15 pm.

Cornbread
First plate of the day



I was not totally impressed with most of the BBQ that I had (although I only had food from 5 booths), but I feel like I came away with some really good beers to add to my arsenal. Highlights were:

Temptation ale at Russian River Brewing Co.
Pouring Temptation Ale at Russian River Brewing Co. booth



Here are the rest of the pics from the day:

No comments: