Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weezer, Raditude (a superficial review)

Weezer's been on probation for me ever since Make Believe, and based on most of what I've heard about their new album, Raditude, it looks like their impact on my life will be split at B.M. and A.M. (Before Maladroit and After Maladroit). And this hurts, because Rivers Cuomo has been a near constant on my celebrity crush list since I was 18. Let's keep score a la Gawker, shall we?

Title of album :: -10

Cover of album :: +10

First single, (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To - cheerful, upbeat, a little more interesting musically than a lot of their prior singles. However, Rivers does this strange spoken-word bridge. :: +20

Lil' Wayne is rapping on one of the songs. Rivers describes it thusly: "[Wayne] gave it the edge I was looking for. You can hear in his voice, it sounds so dark, like he was gonna get shot or something when he walks out of the studio." Weezer :: +20. Lil' Wayne :: -50

Weezer Snuggie, or "Wuggie" (this has nothing to do with the album, but I'm hoping to wake up any day now and find out that this is a huge Rivers Cuomo joke). :: -95

TOTAL :: -65

No comments: