Tuesday, October 13, 2009

i heart nickelodeon

I was a huge Nickelodeon watcher growing up. I remember watching Pinwheel before going to kindergarten. I tried out experiments that I had seen on Mr. Wizard's World. I laughed hysterically whenever anyone got slimed on You Can't Do That on Television. I attempted to emulate Melissa Joan Hart's wardrobe from Clarissa Explains It All (this was possibly *not* the best idea in hindsight). I even watched all the classic shows that aired during Nick@Night (Mister Ed, The Patty Duke Show, I Love Lucy, and Bewitched were not to be missed).

However, my favorite show was The Adventures of Pete and Pete. It was so absurd, and yet so relatable, that I couldn't help but be sucked in. I mean, come on. Kids trying to defy The International Adult Conspiracy by staying up for 11 nights? Dealing with the consequences of answering a pay phone that has been ringing to 27 years? How awesome is that?

My very favorite episode was "The Day of the Dot," which partly dealt with Pete's experience in marching band. Being a marching band geek myself, I found myself nodding sympathetically at the over-the-topness that was mocked marching band culture. This was my favorite scene:

No comments: