Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Advent Day 10: Meet Me In St. Louis / The Wizard of Oz


OK. So I had a bit part in my high school production of The Wizard of Oz (I was a jitterbug, which is a scene that was cut from the movie, and also in the orchestra pit). The cast was mostly made up of kids from the school choir. The most difficult part of the production? The scene in Munchkinland: apparently, although you can be good at singing, it doesn't necessarily follow that you are good at timing. We must have rehearsed that scene for 3 days. The orchestra's frustration was to the point that we added in extra special emphasis at points when the next singer was supposed to come in, and would groan loudly in disgust when they didn't. Very supportive bunch, we musicians were.

The result of all this is that I know that part of the movie extremely well, even after 12 years. It turned into Munchkinland sing-a-long-of-one in that theater. I give my friends credit for their patience.


The Wizard of Oz was paired with Meet Me In St. Louis, which I've seen about 3 times at the Stanford Theater. Even though it's a slower movie, I prefer Meet Me In St. Louis to The Wizard of Oz because of Judy Garland. Every time I see The Wizard of Oz, I can't help but think about how she was getting pumped full of drugs and denigrated for her weight during filming. I also prefer the pacing and comedy in Meet Me In St. Louis more, and appreciate that this was one of Judy Garland's favorite roles. And also, this:

No comments: