Friday, January 22, 2010

saving best for first: the first song

I'm a huge proponent of the first song on an album; it's the make-or-break track for me. If the first song doesn't grab me, it's hard for me to appreciate the songs that follow. I value the first song so much, in fact, that it's sometims possible to notch up a weaker album for me on the strength of that first song.


(yay to "I Don't Feel Like Dancing"; meh to the rest of the album)


Inspired by this post over at Hulu Seventy, here are my favorite first songs (for which I can find linked media):

  1. Basement Jaxx, featuring Lisa Kekaula, "Good Luck"

  2. Beach Boys, "Wouldn't It Be Nice"

  3. Belle and Sebastian, "Stars of Track and Field"

  4. Ben Folds Five, "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces"

  5. Bjork, "Hunter"

  6. Blonde Redhead, "23"

  7. Califone, "Horoscopic.Amputation.Honey"

  8. Camera Obscura, "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken"

  9. Cat Power, "The Greatest"

  10. Coldplay, "Don't Panic"

  11. The Decemberists, "The Crane Wife 3"

  12. Ephemera, "Last Thing"

  13. The Flaming Lips, "Fight Test"

  14. Gnarls Barkley, "Go-Go Gadget Gospel"

  15. I'm From Barcelona, "Oversleeping"

  16. Janet Jackson, "Control"

  17. Les Nubians, "Demain (Jazz)"

  18. Kings of Convenience, "Winning a Battle, Losing the War"

  19. Love, "Alone Again Or"

  20. Metallica, "Enter Sandman"

  21. Michael Jackson, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough"

  22. Radiohead, "Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box"

  23. Ryan Adams, "New York, New York"

  24. Scissor Sisters, "I Don't Feel Like Dancing"

  25. The Shins, "Kissing the Lipless"

  26. The Smiths, "The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty)"

  27. Stars, "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead"

  28. They Might Be Giants, "Birdhouse in Your Soul"

  29. Tori Amos, "Pretty Good Year"

  30. TV On The Radio, "Satellite"

  31. Twilight Sad, "Cold Days from the Birdhouse"

  32. The Weepies, "Can't Go Back Now"

  33. Weezer, "Tired of Sex"

  34. Weezer, "My Name is Jonas"

  35. Wilco, "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart"


(I'm realizing that there's no hip-hop on this list, mostly because first tracks for that genre tend to be "intros" or "preludes" and not a fully-formed song).

No comments: