Thursday, February 11, 2010

The 2010 Pliny the Younger frenzy

Russian River Brewing Company (in Santa Rosa, CA) releases a triple IPA called Pliny the Younger once a year (always on tap, never bottled). Last year, it lasted over 10 days at the brewery. This year, it kicked at RR within 10 hours.

Toronado in the Haight apparently made it to about an hour. Rose and Crown down here in Palo Alto wasn't even sure if they were going to get any; however, it didn't make much of a difference:


The owners of RR issued a defense/apology about the unexpected demand for PtY this year, along with what they can and cannot do to prevent this blowout from happening again next year.

I don't love IPAs, so I can't say that I'm that disappointed about not trying it, but lots of people rate it pretty highly (although I'm not certain they are distinguishing between quality versus rarity). A few of my friends were able to snag a glass; they really enjoyed it, but also expressed some befuddlement about the frenzy surrounding it. Thinking I will console myself with some of their sours, which I already know I like. Will try again next year for this one.

No comments: