Wednesday, February 3, 2010

KQED Perspective: where fake apologies come from

Since I wake up to KQED as my alarm clock, I tend to listen to the morning programming in a snoozy haze. And I definitely don't pay much attention to their "Perspectives" series, which is sometimes interesting, but occasionally strikes me as self-aggrandizing.

This morning, however, there was a great one by a preschool teacher, Laura Galvin, about the fake apology. She traces the insincere "I'm sorry you were offended" apology back to the practice of adults forcing children to apologize when they don't mean it. It's runs 2:23, so give a listen if you've got a few minutes.

2 comments:

elaine roberta said...

This morning as I heard a great "perspective" (it was a repeat of Monday March 1) and wanted to look it up to hear it again.

Your blog came up on my google search and i thought it might have a link to the "perspectives website". I am glad I ran across it because "where fake apologies come from" was another great essay.

Thanks,
Elaine (SF resident and KQED listener)

madichan said...

Awesome; I'm glad I was able to help!

And thank you for the "recommendation" for the Perspective from March 1; I just listened to it, and also appreciated it.