Monday, March 22, 2010

songs that remind me of high school

I spent my teen years firmly entrenched in the 1990s, and developed "my own" music aesthetic just a few years past the grunge hegemony, but prior to "Livin' La Vida Loca." Admittedly, as with most people at that age, my taste in music was often suspect but still strongly emotive.

I thought of this topic after hearing a Savage Garden song on the radio that I haven't even thought about for 12 years. Whit, being 2 years older than me, tolerated it for about one minute before begging the change the station. I probably would have had the same reaction, had I not committed those lyrics to memory during my senior year.

Here are some songs that, when I hear them, I am back to piling with 7 people into a car and making a Wendy's run before the third band rehearsal of the day.

Weezer, "Undone - The Sweater Song" -- we would sing this song a cappella while carrying our marching band equipment down to the football field.



Nine Inch Nails, "Closer" -- who would have thought an artist who we initially got into because of the subversiveness was amazingly talented and intelligent? Bonus point: Trent Reznor being a band geek.


Smashing Pumpkins, "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" -- I remember watching this video with my mom, and after it was over she commented, "Oh, I get it. They're digging their own graves."


Blues Traveler, "Hook" -- I would debate the harmonica talents of John Popper with my dad at least quarterly throughout high school.


Tori Amos, "Pretty Good Year" -- my dedication to Tori Amos in high school is almost physically cringe-inducing to remember, but she is still a rock star on the piano.


Jewel, "Who Will Save Your Soul" -- this song (and this entire album) really spoke to my teenage desire for authenticity. Of course, it manifested in really horrible attempts at poetry, but that wasn't really Jewel's fault.


Third Eye Blind, "Semi-Charmed Life" -- I cannot estimate how many hours we invested into learning the lyrics to this song.


Alanis Morisette, "You Oughta Know" -- this was the anthem for my group of girlfriends when we thought we had actually boy problems.


Live, "Lightening Crashes" -- we used to listen to Throwing Copper during science classes, and it can still remind me of trying to grow specimens in petri dishes (and failing - I mean, seriously? Bacteria grows EVERYWHERE).


Hootie and the Blowfish, "Hold My Hand" -- because really, what would the 90s be without Hootie?


Honorable Mention:
Oasis, "Wonderwall"
The Cranberries, "Zombie"
Fiona Apple, "Criminal"
Madonna, "Human Nature"
Boyz II Men, "On Bended Knee"
Bush, "Glycerine"
Foo Fighters, "Monkey Wrench"
Garbage, "Stupid Girl"
No Doubt, "Don't Speak"
Sarah McLachlan, "Angel"
Green Day, "Basket Case"
Offspring, "Self Esteem"

4 comments:

Molly said...

Oh my goodness! Do you know how many times I've thought about posting this same post? Only whenever I go to think of songs my mind goes blank. Your list of songs is awesome. Totally brings back memories of high school. So funny that everyone everywhere was listening to the same songs over and over and over.

I never liked Third Eye Blind. I wanted to gouge my eyes out whenever their songs came on. To this day if you ask me what band should be erased from existence, it would be them. That semi-charmed-kind-of-life somehow annoyed me like none other. Hahaha! Never voluntarily listened to Tori Amos or Jewel or Alanis much. I have something against most girl singers. I know. Horrible.

(Do you like when I post novels as comments??)

Molly said...

Okay, I'm not done. Let me add to the list. More songs that remind me of high school:

*The soundtrack of Romeo and Juliet
*Frente (although most of my friends didn't know Frente--just my sister)
*Beastie Boys--any and all
*Wu Tang (yep, I even listened to Wu Tang)
*Counting Blue Cars
*Gettin Jiggy Wit It (yes, wit it)
*And I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
*Bitter Sweet Symphony
*Genie in a Bottle
*Come on ride the train...
*Gangsta's Paradise

madichan said...

WOW...Wu-Tang, huh? My freshman dormmates, in the attempt to introduce me to "black" culture, blasted me with that, plus Puff Daddy and Lil' Kim. It was a mixed bag, what can I say?

I'm actually surprised that there is so much overlap between our high school musical tastes; my sense from Whit is that 2 years makes a HUGE difference in that realm.

And I was too chicken to post a couple of bands that I actually listened to quite a lot, but am embarrassed to admit in a public forum.

Whit said...

Those songs are a walk down memory lane for me too, so I'm not so sure about the 2 years being a big deal. And I think it was just bad luck that you tried to play me the Sacred Garden song, because every other song on the list is better than that one.