Wednesday, April 28, 2010

books teens should read

I read voraciously as a child. I started at 2 1/2 years old, and I never stopped. Instead of buying toys or candy, I bought books. Instead of being scolded for kicking the dinner table during meals, I was told to put my book away. I could read at an 8th grade level in 4th grade, and my teachers would just let me do my own thing instead of forcing me to participate in the class reading sessions (I usually just read my own books). I loved reading that much.

Canadian Family has a list of 20 Books Every 'Tween and Teen Should Read Before They Hit 16 (via Oh Dee Doh). I've only read 10 of them, but how fantastic it was to visit with them again. The list is great, because it doesn't pander to the idea that teenagers "can't handle" serious, adult topics - Catcher In the Rye, Go Ask Alice, and Lord of the Flies are on the list.

In addition to the Canadian Family's suggested books (some with which I would like to make an acquaintance), I might also recommend these:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
I Never Promised You A Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffry Eugenides

3 comments:

Molly said...

You know what? I've never read a lot of these books. I think I might just have to start reading! Okay, maybe in June when my night job is over...

Molly said...

Even better--I will see if they have them on disc at the library and will listen to them on my commute! Now, when to go to the library...

madichan said...

In between reupholstering your chair!