Sunday, July 18, 2010

dinner party

I seem to be worse at multitasking than originally thought. For example, despite the intention of taking beautiful, well-lit photographs of a dinner party last night, I basically got two good photos in between fretting about the food.

pizza dough

This became a thin-crust pizza with carmelized onion, olive and roasted garlic tapenade, and wild arugula. Recipe for the crust here.

baked ziti

This is the finished baked ziti. I also made a vegetarian version.

The rest of the menu included:
  • grated beet salad
  • caprese salad
  • haricot verts with shallots
  • gazpacho
  • roasted apricots with vanilla gelato

We had a lot of food left over. We also had a lot of beverage left over because Whit got it in his head that someone might want something that we might not be able to provide (iced tea AND lemonade, lambrusco AND lager, sparkling AND still water).

Although we managed collectively to extract two splinters from my friend's hand. So apparently, the party was more successful at multitasking than me.

working out a splinter

3 comments:

Molly said...

Ooh. I love the idea of a dinner party. Actually I just want to decorate for one.

One of these days I'll have to host one of those...when I'm 8 months pregnant and no longer on bed rest...and in someone else's house, because no one fits in mine. Done and done.

PS--What gazpacho recipe did you use? I would love to try gazpacho, but I've always been afraid to try. I was so picky about it when I lived in Spain. Loved some, couldn't handle others. That vinegar is obviously tough to get just right.

madichan said...

Whit made the gazpacho, from a recipe his mom gave us. It was a big hit; even our friend who doesn't like tomatoes enjoyed it. I'll send it to you.

Molly said...

Hurray!