Sunday, November 28, 2010

dough-nuts

Despite being raised by a man who was raised in the South, I have precious little experience with deep-frying. I suppose I could have corrected this with deep-frying Twinkies. Instead, I decided to make donuts.

apple cider donuts

I used this recipe for apple cider donuts, mostly because I had never had these type before, but also because these donuts didn't require yeast, which I felt might push me over the edge of anxiety. My comfort level with yeast is halting and precarious, and combined with my inexperience with hot oil could have truly resulted in disaster.

apple cider donuts

Things came together well. The only mishap was that although the oil was supposed to be at 350 degrees, I found that this temperature burned the outside of the donuts before the insides could cook. I kept the oil between 250-275 degrees, and that produced deliciousy-goodness instead of raw, gooey singeing in my mouth.

Whit was in charge of coating the finished donuts with a cinnamon-sugar topping. The boy done well.

apple cider donuts

Also, I got to use a donut cutter, which is a tool so perfectly tied to its function, it is almost inspiring.

apple cider donuts

No comments: