Friday, November 5, 2010

Janelle Monae blew my mind

My report on Janelle Monae is: oh my god.

Janelle Monáe, 10/29/10

I can't even fairly put into words how incredible the energy was for this show. She totally rocked it, far beyond what I could have imagined. I watched the Of Montreal fans around me go from "who is this chick?" to dancing in the aisles and screaming wildly at the end of her set:

twitter-tempo_reJanelleMonae

twitter-mango_song_reJanelleMonae

twitter-dCeption_reJanelleMonae

I think the turning point for the crowd occurred as Monae performed "Smile," and as she finished, she pulled the microphone from her mouth so we could hear her hit the last note pitch-perfect.


I'm going to refrain from talking about the Of Montreal show, other than it got a little uncomfortable as Kevin Barnes simulated sex with one of his dancers who was dressed as a pig. And then another one. And then pretended to perform oral sex on a dancer who was dressed as a Roman guard. I think I'm too old for this.

No comments: