Monday, April 4, 2011

the bell was rung

I got to participate in a two-fer Silicon Valley experience on Wednesday: the ringing of the bell at the Rose and Crown, and the shared excitement of someone having sold their start-up.

It started with the 21st Amendment Brewing night. I had gone in after work to try out some Monk's Blood (very tasty). Rachel was still there after her work shift, so we had dinner together and a couple of beers. We also chatted it up with Shaun O'Sullivan (co-owner of 21A) and Lloyd Knight (manager of 21A), and got another round courtesy of the latter. Our friends started trickling over until we had a pretty good proportion of our regular game night crew.

And then we heard the bell.

The Rose has a big metal bell hanging to the right of the bar, and if you ring it, it means that you buy the entire bar a round of drinks. I have never been present for this the entire time I've been going there. My friend Ted jokes that he's going to come in on a Sunday morning and buy the entire 3 people in the Rose at that time a round. You also apparently get a GIANT pour of beer for yourself.

It turns out that someone named Tony had sold his company. I had never even incidentally been associated with someone who had actually sold a start-up. But I got a few photos.

Tony Lillios rang the bell at Rose and Crown
Tony Lillios rang the bell at Rose and Crown
Tony Lillios rang the bell at Rose and Crown
Tony Lillios rang the bell at Rose and Crown

Afterwards, my friends tried to push me to show Tony the photos, since he may have wanted them. I wasn't brave enough to do it, so Ted grabbed my phone to show him, and after a few minutes, I followed him to lurk on the periphery. Ted pointed me out to Tony, and I started to take my phone back. As I was doing it, Tony pulled it back to him and turned it over so he could see the case. He pointed to the logo, and told us that the case was made by his company. That he had sold. Tony then gave me his e-mail address, and told me to let him know what kind of new case I might like, and he would send it to me. Crazy...

Tony Lillios rang the bell at Rose and Crown

1 comment:

Molly said...

You are famous now. And I'm your friend. omigoshithinkimightfaint. (hehe. the word shit is in there and it wasn't on purpose...)