Thursday, April 21, 2011

goodbye, Jackie

Music world has been buzzing about Gerard Smith's death yesterday from lung cancer. I find my heart catching every time I hear someone has been diagnosed with, or has lost their life to, cancer.

As saddened as I am to hear about Smith's death, however, there was another person closer to me who lost her life to cancer yesterday as well. My middle school friend, Sharold, has been keeping in touch with me about her mother's trajectory through (and ultimate release from) metastasized throat cancer. I spent time scouring FDA trials for treatment options, sent analysis and definitions of complex medical jargon, and unsatisfactorily tried to provide comfort when I realized that there was nothing left to do.

I feel like I failed her as a friend. I think about how my dad was almost there, or that he could still almost go there. I try to avoid that thought.

sharold-FB-goodbye

No comments: