Thursday, April 7, 2011

hiring talent

Kevin Rose on hiring during a high growth trajectory:

...in the early days of Digg when we started bringing on employees, we were growing so fast from a traffic standpoint that our solution to problems was throwing warm bodies at the problem. So we needed more coders, so we’re just bringing coders as fast as possible, hiring, hiring, hiring. And all of a sudden, I woke up one day and I looked around and there is 20, 30, 40 people around you. I don’t know these people, I didn’t interview this people. We got in a lot of some B and C grade talents. You get some B and C grade developers and they bring their C and D grade friends in and then all of a sudden you have a big challenge when it comes to getting rid of those people...

- "This Week in Tech," episode 293

I've not heard Rose speak quite as candidly about, well, anything. Apparently, this took other people by surprise as well.

Working in academia, I don't have quite this same problem, but I do know in the past when we've been pressed to get someone in a position, we've sometimes gone with someone who wasn't a good fit but we had hoped would grow into one. You can guess how well that turns out.

No comments: