Monday, April 18, 2011

A Place in the Sun / Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Elizabeth Taylor double feature (A Place In The Sun and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) at the Stanford Theatre yesterday. Her repertoire is long overdue for me; the only other film I had seen her in is Father of the Bride (also at the Stanford). I imagine these films were paired up because they are both adaptations of a literary piece.

First, I need to get this out of the way: it is truly unfair that both Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman share the screen for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof due to how overwhelmingly gorgeous they both are in this movie.

A Place in the Sun was both hard and easy for me to like. It's based on An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser, which is one of my favorite novels. I went into the movie sympathetic to George, because I knew the back story for that character; however, since a lot of that background was given cursory treatment in the film, I kept thinking, "why am I sympathetic to this character again?" I found myself longing for the book in order to revisit the scope of this character.


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was typical Tennessee Williams melodrama, which means amazing. I know there were some issues with the plot of the play versus that of the movie. Normally, this would bother me (see: above). This time, I don't care. Superbly acted. Riveting story arc. The end.

No comments: