Monday, April 11, 2011

SF Vintners Market 2011

Ted and Whitney invited us (and Nathan and Cindy) to the SF Vintners Market at Fort Mason, which basically killed two birds with one stone for me. One: visit to Fort Mason. Two: opportunity to apply my beer tasting skills to wine.

SF Vintners Market 2011

Turns out, I know very little about wine. I mostly stuck with the reds, with some whites to cleanse my palate. Also, that is the extent of my wine description skills.

To be fair, the vintners market is pretty much the exact opposite of a beer festival. Everyone's dressed up. People are asking a lot of weirdly specific questions, and vendors are giving a lot of "wine-speak" answers (I heard the phrase "fruit forward" at least five times within the first 3 booths). What changes the tone of the entire event is that at the vintners market, the vendors are trying to sell you wine. There are some incredible deals, and if you were a wine collector/restauranteur/serious oenophile, then this was a great place to try things out before purchasing large quantities. However, it means that people are way serious about exchanging wine culture information. Because the beer festivals I've been to only involve tastings and not sales (at least, not directly), vendors seem a bit more relaxed. They also don't ignore you for 3 minutes while trying to talk up a wine serious-face.

SF Vintners Market 2011

I can't pretend that if I had the same educational handholding with wine that I had with beer, I would be more equipped to hang on to these conversations. But there's just so much wine, and so many vinyards, and lots and lots of backstory, that figuring out where to start is overwhelming. It's the same reason I haven't learned Chinese history.

The day was glorious, however.

SF Vintners Market 2011
SF Vintners Market 2011
SF Vintners Market 2011
post-wine dessert

No comments: