Saturday, July 16, 2011

Japan 2011: Baird Brewing

Because my friend Jason can't walk two (long-strided) steps without tripping over a beer contact, I managed to finagle a tag-a-long to Baird Brewery in Numazu my first day in Japan.

Baird Brewery

We met with head brewer Chris Poel, who gave us a tour of the brewing facilities. Among the group, I was definitely the one who knew the least, so I tried to stay out of the way and just take photos.

Baird Brewery
Baird Brewery
Baird Brewery
Baird Brewery
Baird Brewery

Baird has four taprooms -- one in Numazu, two in Toyko, and one in Yokohama. After the tour, we went to the Numazu one to try the beers.

Baird taproom
Baird taproom
Baird taproom
Baird taproom

I had the Single-Take Session Ale, Red Rose Amber Ale, and Angry Boy Brown Ale; however, because at this point I had been awake for about 32 hours, I was so tired I can barely remember what the latter two beers tasted like. While chatting with Chris, I felt my face drop, which he also noticed. Despite my desire not to fall asleep on the couch (because, really, what Japanese business needs a gaijin crashed out in the corner?), I wound up napping for about an hour.

I did taste some of Rachel and Jason's selections, which included an IPA that I didn't hate. The session ale was super drinkable. I did feel terrible about not being entirely present for the taproom; Jason and I wound up going to the Harujuku taproom my second-to-last night in Japan so that I could try the brown ale again (it was delicious).

2 comments:

Chris Poel said...

Glad you stopped by -- sleeping on the Taproom sofa is a badge of honor, you did well your first trip here.

Wish I could have stopped by Harajuku with you guys. I need to get out more.

Cheers!

madichan said...

Ha, glad that I didn't totally embarrass myself in public! I think I still have the image of Japanese salarymen passed out drunk in storefronts seared into my mind.

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us around the brewery! Each time I do a tour, I pick up a little bit, so one day I promise I'll be able to keep up. Hope to stop by one of the taprooms again next time I'm in Kanto!