Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"if I'm not dead in 24 hours, it's safe"

While I was visiting Vegas two weeks ago, my parents made the decision to visit Northern California for Labor Day weekend. I think we were all a little nervous, because my dad's health has been swinging towards the non-ambulatory side of the spectrum, but it turns out that being in the cool California weather (with multiple trips to markets bursting with summer produce) does a body good. All the back and leg pain he had been complaining of over the last few months magically disappeared for the four-day trip.

It's strange to be the adult that you had always hoped your parents would treat you as. My parents were always good about not babying me, but this is the first time that they've spent time in my grown-up world. There's a subtle shift, an implicit trust that I am not going to suddenly screw up my life.

Highlights of the trip included:
  1. Heirloom tomato and peach stock-up at the farmers' market.
  2. Whole crabs at Fisherman's Wharf.
  3. Multiple family movie nights (To Catch A Thief at the Stanford; All About Eve at the hotel; Giant at the apartment).
  4. Wonton soup and stir-fry dishes at the local Chinese noodle house.
  5. Successful chocolate cake baked for Whit's birthday (this recipe is boss).
  6. Mom proclaiming my homemade umeshu "oishii," and then trying to sneak all the plums into her mouth.
  7. Wine tasting at Picchetti, accompanied by peacocks.
mom and heirloom tomatoes
chocolate cake
official winery mascot
両親
umeshu
crab legs

No comments: