When we bought the ticket for the bus shuttle, we had no idea that "bus shuttle = party bus."
Every single person who stepped onto the bus was confused. And because we're all a bunch of Bay Area introverts, that meant that after expressing awkward shock, everyone immediately went nose-deep into their smartphones to tweet about it.
When we got to the distillery, people were already milling around, drinks in hand. I should say at this point, we had no idea what we were getting into. I thought it was just going to be gin tastings and food, which is similar to how our prior experience at St. George was. In reality, we were handed nine drink tickets, representing the nine gin cocktails that we were permitted to drink over the course of 3 hours. Did you get that? NINE gin cocktails over THREE hours.
I didn't drink all of mine; I mean, unless it was going to be a "St. George Spirits Slumber Party" there was no way I was going to consume that much alcohol and not feel terrible. Some people did not have that foresight. When Whit and I got to the BART station after the event, we saw a lady who only an hour before had been dancing up a storm, slumped over on the pavement with her companion, accompanied by BART police. As we waited for the train to take us down to Hayward, we heard the sound of an ambulance pull up to the station. Yikes.
Most other people seemed to manage their intake a little better, and the rest of the event was really enjoyable. The nine (nine? NINE.) cocktails served were:
- Sidewinder (Eric Grenier, Luka's -- Dry rye gin, green chartreuse, Laird's applejack)
- Rappaccini's Garden (Ayn Kirkendall, St. George Spirits -- Botanivore gin, cucumber, ginger beer)
- The Swarthy Gentleman (Alex Conde, Hudson -- Dry rye gin, Velvet Falernum, tobacco tincture)
- The Face of Boe (Dion Jardine, Acme Bar -- Botanivore gin, maraschino liqueur, Small Hands gum syrup)
- Gin & Tonic (Kate August, Boot & Shoe -- Botanivore gin, homemade tonic, Seltzer Sister's seltzer)
- St. G Gibson (Kate Hug, Studebaker Pickles -- Dry rye gin, Studebaker Pickles Perfect pearl onions)
- Robin Wood (Marjan Simovics, Era Art Bar -- Terroir gin, green chartreuse, grapefruit, lime)
- Salty Sakura (Melissa Lawton, Hibiscus -- Botanivore gin, Tempus Fugit Liqueur de Violettes, umeboshi, shiso leaf, brandied cherry)
- Naked in the Rain (Brian McMillian, Sidebar -- Terroir gin, Tempus Fugit Kina, Tempus Fugit Liqueur de Violettes)