Monday, February 18, 2013

do me a solid

starting solids

We started Linnea on solids this weekend, beginning with avocado. Because really, what's the point of being born in California if your first food can't be avocado?


I tried to respectfully ease her into it by laying the spoon on her lower lip and not forcing food into her mouth. She responded by snatching the spoon out of my hand and shoving it into her mouth, with a look that implied, "what took you guys so frickin' long?" And then she ate all the foods.

starting solids

starting solids

starting solids

One advantage of starting her on solids so late is that she had some manual dexterity to feed herself, plus she was really, really motivated to eat. I wound up being more relaxed about the whole thing because of this. Still, I really wonder what was going through her head this day. It's very strange to think of shepherding another person through what is a pretty fundamental life requirement. But if I think about that aspect long enough, it adds a ton of gravitas to a situation which is really just a kid smearing green stuff all over her face.


starting solids

Video evidence:

1 comment:

Molly said...

I seriously love the way you describe motherhood. Love it.