Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 resolutions, redux

My prior post on resolutions was a little chickenshit. I was trying to play it safe and only give myself goals that I know I could hit. I hate making mistakes and I hate coming up short, and it played out in a totally cowardly list.

Not to say that it wasn't a good list, but I just know in my heart of hearts that I was striving for mediocrity there.

So, here's my big idea list.

(I guess "take Linnea to the beach" isn't really a big idea, but I was on a roll in imagination-land)

You'll notice that the list goes against most advice on building successful resolutions. There are no specifics here. No breakdowns via SMART goal criteria. Here's the thing: I do that every single day of my personal and professional life. I am a lover of reasonable objectives and lists. I can do SMART goals with one hand tied behind my back.

What I do lack, however, is bold imagination. My instinct when I talk with people who have that "blue skies, green pastures" kind of thinking is "what are all the things that can go wrong here?" And you know what? While that works super well for what my job requires, it's actually not so good for taking chances and making leaps. And even though I am totally risk averse by nature, I don't want Linnea to learn to be that way.

Maybe these things will happen and maybe they won't. But at least I'm stretching for something.

No comments: